Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fort Bliss

If our homes are refuges against the greater world, places where we can relax and escape, I can't think of anything that would make for a more peaceful retreat than a tented lounge area in a backyard...

Twig Hutchinson

Unless, perhaps, it were a permanent fort inside the house.


Like a treehouse, a fort appeals to the child inside me, but it also seems a fitting place to get lost in a book, as it speaks to adventure and imagination and can transport you to a different place or time, just as a great story often does.

It is easy to picture evenings and weekends passing slowly tucked beneath the folds of canvas and accompanied by a good read, great company, and a favorite drink.

10 comments:

studioJudith said...

I do so LOVE tents!
These are just beautiful ... .

Jjjj

Jane Flanagan said...

So so cozy. Love the hudson Bay blanket in the Canadian House & Home image too!

Christina said...

oooh a grown up fort looks like a lot of fun! why did i ever stop building those? i've never really thought about it...

abigail said...

how lovely.
I want a fort in my living room too!

bandelle said...

Oh, how fun would it be to have a fort in your house. And yes, all you would need is a good book. Hope your drive to Austin was safe over the weekend. Wasn't the storm terrible?!

Kylie

alissa said...

what a perfect idea! definitely tugs at my child-heart strings!

Courtney said...

Agreed: I can't remember why I stopped building forts, either. I used to drape sheets over anything I could, anywhere I could. I would love to curl up under one of these canopies

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

this so remind me of childhood games, so sweet!!

xx

Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, i would love the one of these little hideaways! I especially love that second one.

red ticking said...

so fun.... lovely blog...