Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Silver Lining

I've always been a firm believer in the saying "Everything Happens for a Reason," a belief instilled in me by my mom and Nana. I repeat that thought during perplexing and surprising moments, but most often, I repeat it during difficult times.

I always seek comfort in the belief of a reason, although, many times, when in the midst of a challenging period, it seems impossible to see what the reason is.


"Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining," is a phrase that sums up the belief in a different way, and last night, E and I were discussing our own recent "silver lining" in life-- a missed job opportunity that at the time was devastating, but which we can now clearly see was a tremendous blessing in disguise.

As E and I try to navigate this new piece of life we've begun carving out, this poster would make for a very perfect reminder that a year from now, we may well look upon other silver linings still yet unseen.

15 comments:

Courtney said...

Courtney,

Thank you for this refreshing outlook. With all of the turmoil in North America these days, I think it is more important now than ever to remember the silver linings. Even though it may not be clear right away, good things can come out of even the worst situations. It's the proactive approach you take that makes the difference.

I'm glad to hear things are falling into place for you and your husband.

Have a great day. x.

Courtney

Meg said...

I feel like are lives are parallel! THANK YOU for this post, I'm emailing it to Tim. We have had missed job opportunities recently, I am also repeating the mantra, "everything happens for a reason" daily!!! Actually, hourly! Thanks Courtney for the positive spirit you have!

Meg said...

wups, I meant "our" lives!

evencleveland said...

Sometimes they are tough to see, but they *are* there ... and getting to see one is such a joyful thing, isn't it? It lets this huge weight of uncertainty about roads not taken just roll off ...

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

i'm also a big believer in things happen for a reason (i.e. for you to learn things), and have always loved this poster, would so have got one if it came in a smaller size!

xx

c said...

thoughtful post.. i'm in the 'hard to find the silver lining' phase right now, and it's rather difficult.. thanks for the reminder {i'll let you know when i find it...} x chantal

Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, what a beautifully written post and I love your positive attitude! I always tell myself the same thing. It is truly hard to now know what the reason or silver living is but nice to know that it is there one! xx blair

cassandra said...

i'm write there with you girlie. i always try to believe that, in the long run, things happen for a reason. but you already know that :) love this poster, and i hope you guys get settled into everything soon! <3

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Well said!

vicki archer said...

I love that you look for the silver lining in life, I wish more people did that, xv.

Treacy said...

It's always wonderful to see sunshine after the rain. Thanks for the uplifting post.

Ivy Lane said...

Thanks for this reminder.. I had one hell of a week..this puts is all back in perspective.. I can breathe now! Thanks! :)

Blue Muse said...

Beautifully said, and I couldn't agree more. The reasons aren't always clear at first, but they surface when the time is right.

xo Isa

Sarah Engel said...

i love the keep calm gallery! your blog is a fave!

Maggie May said...

great poster :)