Monday, February 23, 2009

Gliding Down the Rails


I love to travel as much for the destination as for the trip itself. Although I am always excited to arrive at my journey's end, I enjoy the process of getting there as well. I've mentioned it before, but I love airports and planes, and I adore a good road trip.


E & I watched this movie over the weekend, and I have been thinking about train travel ever since. I have only traveled by train a handful of times, and while I loved each trip, none were as glamorous as the one depicted in these photos.


The romance associated with rail travel (and air travel as well) from bygone eras doesn't quite exist in today's harried society, with travel more closely linked to delays and long lines, but I still am captivated by the idea of a grand adventure spent in luxurious clothing, with scenery flying by, as a train races down the tracks towards its next destination.

**And in other news, we are still without Internet at home...

10 comments:

Courtney said...

What a great movie.

I love this photo shoot. So glam. I've never taken a trip on a train, although I would love to. My sister and her best friend went to Seattle from Vancouver on the train last week and had a great time. I'd also love to travel in Alaska on the historic rails.

AH: no internet still? How frustrating! I hope you'll be plugged in again soon, although I'm sure it's nice to have a little freedom from the web. I enjoyed my weekend unplugged.

Jane Flanagan said...

I love rail travel too. Unfortunately, the romantic notion rarely lives up to the reality (remember that SATC when Carrie thought it was a good idea to take the train?)

But, one of my favourite journeys ever was taking the train from Moscow to St Petersburg. It was such a beautiful journey.

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

these images are so wonderful, typically my train trips are fairly short(it's a small country!) but on the odd time where the journey is more than 2 hrs I really enjoy it, much better than bus!

not sure if you know about it but the Royal Scotsman is the most amazing train journey in UK, well lovely scotland to be more precise, it's really expensive but i think it'd be worth it, one day...

http://www.royalscotsman.com/web/rs/rs_a2a_home.jsp

studioJudith said...

There was a time when the ultimate luxury was a private train .... wouldn't that be the best ??!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo shoot. By now, it seems I am a pro with air and rail travel. I agree with you that the romance associated with these two means have disappeared.

Travelling in Europe last summer proved that to me. 30 days of long lines, plane delays and missed trains. Despite all of that my boyfriend and I still had a great experience.

Courtney, I am sorry to hear about your no internet still. I couldn't imagine not having mine, but what a great excuse to take a break.

Courtney said...

I want to travel with her wardrobe!

Courtney said...

Courtney- It would be really incredible to travel Alaska by rail.

Jane- Oh, I am so envious!! I am not kidding that is absolutely a dream vacation of mine (hovering near the top of a very long list!)

Tina- Thanks for sharing about the Royal Scotsman; I hadn't heard of that before, but it looks like an amazing experience! Adding it to the list...

J- That would be an incredible luxury!

Jena- 30 days in Europe sounds heavenly- long lines, delayed planes, missed trains and all.

Courtney B- I'd love to travel with her wardrobe too!

please sir said...

Oh I've been getting the travel itch recently too - I'm ready to book on outta here!

Unknown said...

I wish I were more like you ...I am a horrid traveler. I can't relax. These photos are beautiful.

Nicki's Notebook said...

Oh I love these pics - there is such a wonderful romantic feel attached to the idea of travelling by rail.x