Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy Golden Days

As you may have realized, I love the holidays. While the time between Thanksgiving and New Years always goes far too quickly, it is a season almost beyond compare for me.


I love the decorations that appear everywhere from the grocery store to neighbors' houses. While my tastes have changed over the years, and I now prefer white lights to colored ones, seeing the world dressed in holiday lights still feels as magical to me as it did when I was young.


I adore the radio stations that switch to Christmas music on Thanksgiving Day; I can listen to the same songs sung a hundred different ways, and each time I hear them, they put a smile on my face. Whether the music fills me with happiness or sometimes longing, it always fills me with a contented peace.

There are must-watch holiday movies for me during the season, from older classics to newer ones as well. I love watching these with my family, especially my youngest brother who has the same deep love for Christmas as I do.


Searching for the perfect gift fuels me as I scout stores and websites to uncover just the right items for the people I love. And discovering that perfect gift, knowing that someone will adore or appreciate it, is the greatest thrill.

From decorations to holiday music and from gift-giving to gift-wrapping, every element adds up to create a season like no other. And the thread that ties all of these elements together is tradition.


Traditions vary from family to family and across regions and cultures. They can be long-standing or newly created, and sometimes even just one tradition carried through from year to year connects us to our past.


Whether tradition is indulging in a particular food during the season or having the same foods every year for your holiday meal, whether it is an annual outing to look at Christmas lights or a night spent at home watching holiday movies, tradition is the element that makes the season complete.


I have asked some of my fellow bloggers to share with us the things that make their holidays whole; they will be sharing the traditions they had growing up and those they have now.

My first guest, Kimberlee of Brown Button, will be stopping by tomorrow. I know you'll enjoy hearing the memories and traditions of her Australian Christmas' as much as I have.

10 comments:

Kate said...

How much fun! I can't wait to read the guest bloggers. I love the first picture. It looks like the best New Years Eve party ever!

Amanda said...

Such a beautiful post Courtney. I look forward to hearing what Kim has to say.

Amanda xx

Brown Button Trading said...

beautiful post courts! those images are beautiful, those baubles on the staris, bliss! - I have to give you a huge thank you! for letting me be a part of your christmas postings, it has seriously put me in the festive mood as I've been so busy with work etc I haven't stopped and thought about how wonderful it all is. SO THANK YOU! (and is it stupid that i am excited about the post tomorrow even though I know what I've written?! - i'm hopeless!) love lots xx

Treacy said...

I am so excited to read Kimberlee's posting!!

Hope your weekend was wonderful.

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

wow, these images are beautiful! i'd die for that last room! I know what you mean Courtney, the time has gone so fast! can't believe it's only one and half week till Christmas and I havn't got all my presents yet! right big shopping tomorrow then...

Courtney said...

Oh my can you imagine having a staircase with all those ornaments and baubles streaming down! Insanely gorgeous photos. Enjoy your week off and if Kimberlee is a glimpse of what's to come, we're all in great, great hands! xx

cassandra said...

what a gorgeous collection of images! i cannot wait to read what others' traditions and memories are (mine are coming!!)

Blair Friedeman said...

Courtney-these are gorgeous images! I especially love the shows full of baubles and boxes. They really all bring the magic of Christmas to life.

please sir said...

Ohh so pretty - love the colors!

c said...

Love love these images, especially the first two with the stairs and shoes..... my must-see holiday movie is national lampoon’s Christmas vacation, I watch it over and over as I wrap gifts...

Enjoy the holidays!